Five Transformation Centers will develop and scale practices that prepare new teachers to help students succeed.
The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation today announced it will commit $34.7 million over three years to five newly-formed Teacher Preparation Transformation Centers that will bring together higher education institutions, teacher-preparation providers and K-12 school systems to share data, knowledge and best practices. These cooperatives will develop, pilot and scale effective teacher-preparation practices to help ensure that more teacher-candidates graduate ready to improve student outcomes in K-12 public schools.
The five Teacher Preparation Transformation Centers are:
- Elevate Preparation, Impact Children (EPIC), led by the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education;
- National Center for Teacher Residencies (NCTR);
- TeacherSquared, led by the Relay Graduate School of Education;
- TeachingWorks at the University of Michigan; and
- University-School Partnerships for the Renewal of Educator Preparation (U.S.PREP) National Center, based at Texas Tech University.